Mya's first parent-teacher conference as a Kindergartener. It went pretty well. I would say a lesson learned for me was the biggest surprise.
She was one of only a few that passed everything in PE. Yes, P.E. class. I asked what was the difference between her and the other kids? Well, she took a step when she threw the ball. Apparently that was one of the test that some kids didn't get. Interesting. So far she hasn't been super athletically inclined. The -one-time-ever- soccer season was a bust. However, she has been REALLY interested in softball and wants to play next season. Maybe this is a sign that it will work out and she will enjoy it.
She is reading and writing at grade level. She is well behaved and has a love for learning. The teacher says she enjoys it, so that is encouraging. Mya is not a problem child and she enjoys her in class. Mrs. Hoover would like to have speech evaluate her because she says the tenses wrong. For example "hers is going to the bathroom" or "hims is busy". Well, I didn't ever think it was an "issue", but boy was I wrong! Of course I want her to be evaluated, so that if there really is something that needs attention, we address it now. However, I take full blame for this. I never corrected her that often and she has formed a bad habit. So, parenting tip #72 from me....correct your child's grammar and don't just think its cute and let it slide, like I did. This is not a tip, but a warning. There's a lot of parental responsibility for Kindergarten, so beware!
The speech teacher listened to Mya a couple of times and said that the first time she was using them wrong, but the next time it was all appropriate, so there is no reason for her to officially have speech therapy. She isn't going to see Mya again unless Mrs. Hoover notices something down the line. We have been working hard on correcting her at home, and Macy too. Because, you know, the little sister does everything big sis does. So, instead of having to go through this another time, we will be speaking perfectly good grammar in this house!
No comments:
Post a Comment