Wednesday, November 18, 2015

KC Children's Mercy

Alfredo and I took Elaina to Dr. Goldstein in Kansas City to see what the bump on the side of her head is.  He is a cranio-facial surgeon and I was very impressed with him.  He had good bedside manner and was accommodating since we were from out of town.  He thought it was a dermoid cyst because that is the second most common area they are found. After our appointment he sent us to radiology to get her a CT scan of her head.  She was super tired but we were told to keep her awake and it was also about time to eat.  Somehow we got in even though there was a room full of people waiting.  The techs were great and knew just want to do with a little one.  She loved the sugar water and did very, very well.  It was a bit scary to see her all strapped down but Fredo and I were by her side the whole time. 

Afterwards we went back to the clinic and I fed her in the waiting room.  Everyone was at lunch but he told us to come back and the nurse gave me her phone number to call when we did.  Like I said, they were all so great and made you feel like you were the only patient.  The doctor called us back and showed us the CT scan.  The dermoid cyst, or at least that's the thought, burrows into her skull a bit and has a hard think layer of bone on the outside also.  He also had a neurosurgeon look at the preliminary scans and they both agreed with the dermoid.  He said he would have to wait until all of the slices from the scan were in and he would call me with the final results. 

The doctor called me and agreed with the prelimins.  He wanted to schedule surgery because of the risk of infection.  So, we have a pre-op appointment on January 20th and surgery scheduled for February 2nd.  I'm going with a list of questions to the pre-op because I want to make sure it's necessary for such a little one to go under surgery.  If it's not necessary then we will re-think the plan. 

We are very thankful that this is all superficial and nothing majorly serious.  Our little doll baby is just perfect and we will see how this all works out.  Say a little prayer for my baby!

No comments: