Sunday, January 15, 2012

Weekend Facelift

Alfredo and I always start out with a small idea and it turns into something bigger.  That's the case this weekend also.  I have been (FOR-EVER) wanting to put a frame around our bathroom mirror.  It's one of those that the builder just put in and its so....blah.  I saw an idea on HGTV once and it's been stuck in my mind ever since.  While we were out shopping at Hobby Lobby :) we stopped by Lowe's to get the wood I needed for the frame.  Then Alfredo said, why don't we just get it all done and paint too.  He said he would paint, so we picked out a color and went with it.  We had this awful dark blue when we moved in and I have always disliked it.  My color of choice for everything right now is teal and it's offspring.  So I chose "blue lagoon" from one of the Lowe's color cards.  We will accent with "daydream haze" accessories which resembles a sea foam green. 

Mya and Macy's bathroom "BEFORE" picture-
 Now the work begins.....
 After paint.  It's really hard to tell much of a difference in wall color, but believe me-there is! It's a lot lighter and much more calming. I also spray painted the old terrible brass fixtures and wha-la, it looks brand new.

 The frame almost done!
 "AFTER" Doesn't it make such a huge difference?!? If I knew how to put them side by side I would, but sorry, I don't!
 Such a cheap transformation and a HUGE difference!
(1) White chair rail-$7.32 per piece (we used 2 so $14.64)
(2)Paint-$32.98. Although you could get it for cheaper. We got the paint+primer and the mold/mildew resistant
(3) Spray paint, which I already had so free for me!

Thanks babe for all of your hard work and believing in my crazy ideas! If I didn't have an amazing husband I'm just not sure what I would do!

So amongst other things I got at hobby lobby, this was one of my goals.  I did see this on Pinterest and I am fairly happy with it.  I'm not totally sold on it but I like it. I wish some of the wood had more character and was bigger but they were limited on selection and I was antsy so this is what I got.  I may change some of the smaller ones out when I can get different wood.  
 These wood blocks ranged from .99cents to $2.99.  I painted each my color of choice and distressed a few of them.  Applied pictures and hung them on the wall. On Pinterest I read to mod podge the pictures on, but I want to swap them out from time to time so I just used double sided tape.  Simple right! I already had the Family there with my other pictures so I just left it.  I may do some altering though because like I said, I'm still getting use to it, but not in awe of it!

Mya was suppose to be going to sleep but I believe she was up playing.  This is how I found her...asleep on the floor on top of her blankets and pillows.  Although, she still ended up in my bed!
 The weather was beautiful this weekend.  The girls got to play outside some and enjoy it.  Mya and I went out today while Macy was napping, so I snapped a few pictures...


Macy then woke up.  She got to play outside for a while but then we wanted to color inside. This is what I call "Girl with the crazy tattoo" showing soon in a theatre near you! Oh how she is a handful. I love her to pieces but she can sure test the limits.  I am not exaggerating when I say she was in time out 8+ times, just today.  No kidding. She pulled Mya's hair like she had the reins on the horse and trying to stop.  Poor Mya. They fight during the day like crazy.  She bites, hits, yells, tells you "no", she does it all.  Everything she is not suppose to.  I found her trying to pull my curtains down, what the heck child! Mya is a little tattle tail and lets us know if Macy is doing something wrong, but leaves out what she did.  Typical big sister.  I think I did that a time or two when I was young :)

3 comments:

Grandma Peggy said...

Love the mirror, what a cool idea! And, it sounds like you have your hands full with Macy :) It's always those cute, 'quiet' ones that get ya!! lol

Pepper said...

I found your blog through Jill's blog and I enjoy keeping up with your family.

I love the mirror! We have one exactly like it and I would love to do this. Can you tell me how you did it? faithwebb80@gmail.com

laura mcpherson said...

Awesome work!!! We have been doing a LOT of makeovers around here too, so I know how exciting it is to watch one of your rooms transform! It's worth it, and fun to work on it with your hubby :)