Friday, March 6, 2009

RSV

The weather has be beautiful lately! I hope it stays...I can't keep Mya inside! She absolutely loves to be outside playing. Yesterday Miss went and picked her up early from the babysitter and took her to the park. She said everyone kept saying "She is sooo little". Yeah, we know! I'm glad she went and got her. It's nice to have great friends, and Mya loves her Aunt Miss. The other night she wanted to go home with her...from our house!!

I had ordered an umbrella stroller to take to Mexico. I must say I do Love It! Not that I have truly put it to the test yet, but I will! It has a basket and several little zipper compartments to store things, PLUS two cup holders for parents (or sippy cups!). You can't see them really because they are behind the seat. And the handles extend for those who are taller so you don't kick the wheels. It makes a great first impression, I will let you know if its a lasting one! We got the boring grey color in case we have a little boy next!


So, as you can probably tell, Mya has RSV. The babysitter told Alfredo one other kid had been diagnosed with it. When I picked Mya up, she said " well so and so had it a while ago and now this other little boy has it." Thanks for the insight! Two others are getting tested, and Mya is positive for RSV. I swear her little body has taken a beating! So as a nurse I'm not one to wait and see. I called lab, got the results and paged the doctor. He said "nothing" Okay, not literally but pretty much. Steroids aren't the "standard of care anymore" according to him and he offered nebulizer treatments. No thanks! She is not wheezy and I don't really want to start any of those. He said to take care of her at home (OTC pain and fever reliever) fluids, vaporizer...you know the normal stuff! SO here is my plan. If she is still hacking up a lung, runny nose, and temp then I will take her to the E.R. I will probably wait another week or so (as the virus runs a course of approx 14days) then take her in. I can't have a sick child on vacation!! He said day 5 is the worst...Ummmm we are WAY past that! She was sick before Iowa, a week ago. Too bad antibiotics wont work on a virus! I just hope it doesn't progress into pneumonia or bronchitis. Then she will be on antibiotics. I will watch her and I am not afraid to get a second opinion or page the doctor again! I have to be on call and get paid a whopping $1.50/hr and I deal with his patients. He can answer my questions about MY BABY! He was not a jerk, don't get me wrong, I just want her to be healthy when we go. My bark may be worse than my bite but I just worry about Mya. And as I would tell my patients "its better to be preventative and on the safe side" Doc said he saw around 100 RSV cases this week in the office. My Oh My! We will keep an eye on it. So, I am done moaning about the medical profession :-) I blame daycare!



I have decided that I am going to buy more "SaniHands wipes for kids" and take several to the daycare. I don't care if she uses them on everyone, but she must use them on Mya. We will see how it works out. Hand washing is so important in daycare. RSV is spread by droplets so its not 100% effective, but even after Mya is over this, she can get it again. Whatever I can do to help stop it I will try! Okay, really. I'm done griping now.


This weekend I am on call :-). So I can't go shopping in Wichita or anything too fun. I hope the weather remains decent though. I am going to try and get everything together and organized for Mya's b-day party. (Okay so that entails shopping, but just at WalMart) It's my first one so I hope it turns out well! I hope to get my floors cleaned also. They are pitiful! Otherwise, just plan on spending time with my loves!


Have a great weekend!

No comments: