Sunday, February 17, 2013

Workin' Cattle

My mom watched the girls overnight and I went down the next day to take some pictures of what I thought would be simply petting the calves.  However, Grandpa worked the baby calves and the girls were not expecting that.  Although I am far from knowledgeable about all of this, grandpa tagged their ears and if they were a bull he castrated them to make him a steer.   All of them were bulls so the girls were kinda upset that Ty held the calf down while it was bawling! My innocent girls with such big hearts just don't understand.  They sure wanted Grandpa and Ty to let the calf go! 

Ya know, my grandpa is over 70 which in my line of work really isn't that old.  But i'm kinda amazed at what he can still do.  I don't ever hear him complain about any aches or pains or even working for that matter.  I watched him get up and down and bend over so many times with the calves that even I would be worn out.  I guess, I just wanted to brag a little about how amazing he really is and what he still does.  I see people so young that can't do the simplest things and yet he is a "retired" farmer....as if he will ever truly retire.  Love you Grandpa!


 This little baby looked like he was just born.  If that isn't traumatic enough he got his ear pierced and castrated too!
 Mya and Macy were able to pet one of the calves.  Poor little guy!



 Getting his ear tagged
 This Mama Cow decided to steal a little treat off of the pickup :)


We went to another pasture to check if anymore babies had been born.  A while ago Mya named one of the them "Bubbles"  so of course we had to check on him while we were there.  


It's funny because Grandma Pat says this little guy is a bit like a dwarf.  He is shorter than the others and he's not the cutest of them either!  When I told Alfredo he said "Well, he's short like Mya". Haha, although Mya is of course beautiful unlike her favorite calf! It will be fun to see Bubbles grow into a steer (I assume its a he?)

No comments: