Friday, June 18, 2010

Bummed and Macy's 2 months

I am totally bummed :-( Macy had her 2 month appointment yesterday. Her stats: 13 lbs, 23 inches, a growing, healthy girl. Mya was 6 months before she was 13 lbs..hehe!

Anyway that all went well but...he wants me to stop breastfeeding. That is what I am bummed about. Since her billirubin only dropped from 8.3 to 6.9 with a couple of days of formula he thinks I need to solely formula feed her and re-check lab in about 20-30 days. His reasoning is to make sure there isn't something wrong with her liver. I agree...but, if it is truly breast milk jaundice then all of the studies say not to stop bf. So here I am again battling within myself the right parenting decision. I am not sure if I should go with my instinct and say screw the doc, I'm gonna breastfeed my baby because its the best for her, OR be less selfish and give her formula and recheck lab to make sure its normal...(which is zero). Completely Stumped. Formula feeding is fine and studies prove it, but I just prefer breastfeeding and being told that I shouldn't doesn't make me very happy! I would blame myself later on if I continued to bf and then something was really wrong. I guess that being said, I should give her formula huh?!? So Sad.

4 comments:

Audra said...

She is a chunk..I LOVE it!! And a cutie too. Gosh, that would be a really hard decision. I lost all my milk this time around due to infection. I spend many a days/nights crying. But, formula is fine. Even though it is something I know you don't want to do. Have you thought about pumping for those days while you try the formula? Then you could look at the numbers and see what you want to do from there. Just a thought. Good luck. I will be thinking of you!

Bethany said...

I was just going to suggest what Audra said. I tried breastfeeding Huntler and I HATED it so after about 4 or 5 weeks, I quit. Gentry went straight on formula and this baby will too. And I am more than okay with that. They are both incredibly healthy and smart and thrived on formula!!

But...if nursing her is really important to you, you may want to pump for those three or four weeks and reevaluate. A pain I know, but worth it if it makes the decision easier! Good luck!!

And Mya was just BITTY!! I have a feeling our baby is going to weigh in at 13 pounds by its one month check up!!

Theresa said...

Any chance you can get a 2nd opinion? Maybe that could help ease your mind? Isn't there some other way to know than just having to stop nursing cold turkey? I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

laura mcpherson said...

I don't blame you for being bummed!
I agree with Audra and Bethany about pumping while you try the formula to see if there's a difference. I know it's a lot of work, but it might be worth it for you to be able pick back up on bf'ing. AND I agree with Theresa about maybe getting a 2nd opinion before you give up something so important to you and Macy. Have you talked to Kaitlyn (LLL) to see if she knows anything about this? She is wonderful and has many resources.

Best of luck! I'll be thinking about you.